Detox Part Three: Detox in Practice
After reading my earlier parts of the Detox blog series you know are probably eager to get your body a good cleanse and the best possibilities to function as it should without the huge load of unnecessary substances that may keep you away from being energetic, healthy and the best version of yourself.
As mentioned in my earlier blogs, the fastes cleanse may not be the best. In fact, even though some poeple are even waiting for to get some detox symptoms, the best detox do not feel anything, but you notice little by little great things happening, such as skin getting heatlhier, hair more glowing and energy levels peaking up. So even though in some cases, specifically after heavy exposure to toxins, medications or when the seasons change, special individualized detox programs are useful, I am still a strong fan of what I call a detox lifestyle. That means that you make daily such choices that enhance your body’s ability to cleanse itself and also that do not unnecessarily put further burden on your beautiful body.
How to begin?
First, lighten up your toxin load. Eliminate at least the following:
• refined sugars
• saturated fats
• processed foods (in my blog part 4 I will go deeper to which foods to include in your diet)
• some people also want to avoid the foods that many people are intolerant to even withouth knowing it: wheat, dairy, corn, soy and gluten
These are all treated as toxins in the body and are obstacles to your healing process. Also, minimize use of synthetic, toxic household cleaners and cosmetics. Swap these to organic or natural cosmetics (whoo – women! This is a wonderful excuse to start trying different new beauty products in organic section :)). Remember also change your toothpaste, deodorant and hair care products into organic ones. One important thing to get rid of too is stress, which triggers your body to release stress hormones into your system. While these hormones can provide the “adrenaline rush” to win a race or meet a deadline, in large amounts they create toxins and slow down detoxification enzymes in the liver. Try yoga, qigong, meditation (which can take various forms depending on the individual preferences) and NLP. These are simple and effective ways to relieve stress by resetting your physical and mental reactions to the inevitable stress life will bring.
Which detox program is best for you?
There are huge amount of different detox programs and recipes which you can use depending on your individual needs. I would recommend going easy first and avoiding fasts if you are a first-timer. Also, try to motivate yourself to a programme that lasts at least 7 days, preferrably 10-21 days. Some programs include supplements, herbs, excercise and other practises such as dry-skin brushing, hydrotherapy and massage to further support the elimination of toxins.
Popular detox diets are:
Inside Out Diet: Liver Cleansing
A 4-week program that concentrates on promoting optimal liver function by adjusting the diet to support liver cleansing and detoxification.
The Clean Diet
The Clean Program is a 21-day detox diet that was designed by Dr Alejandro Junger, for those who have a busy lifestyle.
Clean Green and Lean
A 4-week plan to help dieters to eliminate toxins that may be preventing them from losing weight. This program will help you to overcome chronic health problems such as allergies and fatigue and boost your energy, while at the same time helping to create a greener planet.
Eating For Energy: Living Foods Diet
A diet program based on living plant-based foods in a flexible format that allows dieters to gradually change their way of eating. It has unique information that applies specifically to athletes and physically active dieter as well as a Detox componant.
Green Smoothies Diet
Provides several detox recipes as well as the incorporation of green smoothies into regular diet.
Liver Cleansing Diet
A bestseller since 1997, Dr Cabot attributes many health conditions to poor liver function.
A program created by the New York Times bestselling author, Kathy Freston and includes the 21-day detox diet that was followed by Oprah.
Raw Food Detox Diet
Gradually incorporates raw foods into diet and promotes detox.
Swiss Secret to Optimal Health
A detox, weight loss and chronic health condition plan for ultimate health.
You Are What You Eat
Gillian McKeith’s plan for healthy eating with a detox component.
9 easy ways to help your body to cleanse
- Eat plenty of fiber, including brown rice and organically-grown fresh fruits and vegetables. Beets, radishes, artichokes, cabbage, broccoli, spirulina, chlorella, and seaweed are excellent detoxifying foods.
- Cleanse and protect the liver by taking herbs such as dandelion root, burdock and milk thistle, and drinking green tea.
- Take vitamin C, which helps the body produce glutathione, a liver compound that drives away toxins.
- Drink at least 2 litres of fresh water daily.
- Breathe deeply to allow oxygen to circulate more completely through your system.
- Transform stress by emphasizing positive emotions.
- Practice hydrotherapy by taking a very hot shower for five minutes, allowing the water to run on your back. Follow with cold water for 30 seconds. Do this three times, and then get into bed for 30 minutes.
- Sweat in a sauna so your body can eliminate wastes through perspiration.
- Dry-brush your skin to stuínulate the lymphatic flow and blood circulation. Special brushes are available at natural products stores.
In my next and last blog you will hear more about the following:
Food and nutrients
• Hypoallergenic diet
• Preferrable detox foods list
• Food combining for optimal digestion
• Probiotics & Enzymes